20 second film group task: Initial storyboards, process and the finished presentation + film.

After discussing ‘Seamless 1999’ and the concept for our film, I made a very rough storyboard to start fleshing out our ideas.

To figure out the general camera angle and transitions of the shots in the film, Kit filmed this short video where you can see parts of Sze’s installation.

He will later render the scene in After effects.

After planning out the camera angles, the next step was to plan the movements of the ‘character’ more clearly. To do this, Ash made a more refined storyboard.

I asked Bjorn to create the backgrounds for the film in procreate which Kit will then add later to After Effects. To the left is a screenshot of early background development.

The idea/approach we had for the background was to make it by creating a digital collage of images of various objects and architecture so we could explore the themes in Sze’s work in our own way. (going for a mixed media look)

To reference her influences, we decided on using the primary colours too. (see previous blog post and final presentation below for more details)

This swatch of the three colours on the left was decided upon after collectively deciding that the initial red colour was too saturated.

The gallery below has all of the finished backgrounds used in the film:

Here’s all the source images used in the background collage.

To make the final presentation, Kiyana used InDesign to lay out some of the images we took along with the research I did. Her choice in using a minimalist design for the presentation is another call back to Sze’s influences.

Finally, for the music I experimented with my launchpad to create a simple soundtrack. (resulting in three before we picked the final one you’ll hear in the film)

I tried to make it have a futuristic feel to fit the mood of the clip and in the end I decided against applying sound effects for the round shape moving. This was mainly because it wasn’t colliding into anything but the bucket at the end and by then the shape was very soft looking and I figured it wouldn’t make much of a sound.

Next time I collaborate with a group I’d like to use sound effects more effectively.

Here’s the Final Film: